Monday 22 September 2014

Mozilla And Women Launch - Kampala


Few years ago, I used to see a number of Tech companies trying to promote programs and initiatives engineered at encouraging women participation in Technology but I never knew how big the gap was until I attend this event. For some reasons, being a student and seeing a number of girls enrolled in computer related fields, I had thought many were involved but, I was wrong.

Last week on Saturday was a Mozilla and Women launch party (WoMoz) organized by Mozilla Community Uganda and hosted at Thought Works at Tech Company

JB one of the Reps presenting

This was my first time attending Women Tech event. I decided to go attend and see what happens i.e. see what they talk about and do! :) But on arrival, I was surprised to see only a few girls in the room because this being their event, I had anticipated to see very many of them. Nevertheless, I sat down and hoped that may be many will show up since it’s just only morning.

The event started with welcome remarks from Emiley the Lead for WoMoz Uganda community. Thereafter, JB one of the community Leads kicked off with the presentation about Women and Mozilla, exploring the famous women within Mozilla like Mitchell Baker the Chairman of Mozilla Foundation, the opportunities within the tech industry and Mozilla at large and also stressing to the ladies the fact that you don’t need to know code for you to get involved with the community and the tech industry at large.

We had break away session in groups of three. We were to come up with ideas or an app or anything hack able to motivate or encourage women participation in tech. I loved this session because it was really nice hearing the girls telling us what women think about the industry and there personal experiences as well.



This gave me a personal insight in that just because we see many ladies enrolling for computer related courses, there participation in the industry is a different thing all together. Infact this confirmed to me the stats that JB presented about the gaps between women and men participation in the tech industry.


The event ended with presentations from the three groups and I am happy to say that the group I was part of was the overall winner. Our group idea was around presentation of slides with most of the famous women in the tech industry who have made it both locally and internationally with the message to all the ladies that if these made it, you too can make it.

I am glad I attended this event and many thanks to Mozilla’s program Women and Mozilla - WoMoz. I feel privileged to be part of WoMoz’s shared common goal of promoting women's visibility and involvement in open source communities.

We believe Open Source needs more women! :) Contribute with us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment